Artouste, or Artouste-Fabrèges, is a Pyrenean winter sports and ski resort located in the French department of Pyrénées-Atlantiques in Béarn, at the end of the Ossau valley, in the city of Laruns.
Table of Contents
Location and layout of Artouste
Located in the Atlantic Pyrenees, near the Parc National des Pyrénées, (Pyrenees National Park), with a magnificent panoramic view of the Pic du Midi d’Ossau massif. The Artouste ski resort has everything to delight lovers of outdoor skiing, surrounded by a pleasant atmosphere, in a town with mountain architecture.
For alpine skiing, Artouste offers a ski area with 25 km of slopes (from 1400 to 2100 m above sea level) on 150 hectares, adorned with themed areas (snowpark, snowcross, freeride area and Kid Park).
The Artouste snow park is the place where experts and beginners come together. Cut into several zones, it allows everyone to evolve and progress in different modules.
The village of Laruns undertook the creation of a piste ski resort in Artouste, and assumed full management since its opening in 1969. A cable car departs from the edge of Lake Fabrèges and goes up to 1950 meters. From there, the view of the Pyrenees, the Ossau valley and the Ayous and Fabrèges lakes is magnificent. Then it is necessary to take another ski lift to access the snowpark, at the top of the resort, at the 2100 meters summit. You can descend into the Soussouéou valley, 1350 meters. The descents run many times on small trails in the forest, with beautiful slopes on open country.
Main areas of the resort
For alpine skiing, Artouste offers a ski area with 25 km of slopes (from 1400 to 2100 m above sea level) on 150 hectares, adorned with themed areas (snowpark, snowcross, freeride area and Kid Park). The Artouste ski resort is made up of three sectors:
- Sagette sector: especially aimed for beginners and children, you will find the Kidpark, just outside the gondola. Having a drink, in the sun, on the terrace of the restaurant is possible at more than 2000 meters of altitude; while watching your children on sled or ski improving and having fun.
- Arracou sector: this part brings together the most beautiful slopes in Artouste. Red or blue, these trails will take you from the top of the domain to the magnificent Soussouéou plateau, through the fir trees.
- Seous sector: reserved to the most experienced skiers or adrenaline seekers, you will find there the particular snowpark and snowcross.
Snowparks and play areas
The Artouste snow park is the place where experts and beginners come together. Divided into several zones, it allows everyone to evolve and progress in different modules:
- Beginners area: to beginners or young children who want to progress in complete safety and adapted and accessible modules.
- Urban area: aimed to professionals who want to improve, with more committed modules, such as rails and boxes.
- Extreme area: Kicks, boards and hips of all kinds, this area is made for those who really enjoy the snow. The size of the modules you will find there will vary from 10 to 16 meters depending on the mood of the Shapers.
- Snowcross: open to everyone, this border crossing is made up of different obstacles (jump, hoops, bars …) and inclined turns. Two itineraries are offered: a “Beginner” and a “Pro” itinerarie.
You can rent equipment in Artouste, but also in Laruns. All the equipment to practice the activity of your choice: parabolic skiing, footwear, cross-country skiing, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, as well as sledges for children.
Non-ski activities offered in Artouste
Do you feel chills? Opt for a snowmobile ride in Artouste. Hybrid between a motorcycle and snowboard, these are new generation vehicles to reach the slopes. And why not, proper recreation vehicules. For beginners, the ESF helps you get started.
For the end of the day or in case of bad weather, the Artouste Tourist Office organizes evening shows: film screenings, ping-pong tournaments, darts, theme nights, fireworks. The Office also offers the residents of the complex the loan of board games, DVDs, books, and offers video game consoles with loan of games in a room in the Maison de Fabrèges.
Bars, pubs and restaurants
For lunch between two ski slopes, or for a nice meal with friends around a good table at the end of the day, head to one of the 6 restaurants in Artouste. The Crêperie de l’Ours, the Petit Lurien, the Séouquet Noar, the Panoramic or even the Fario welcome you in the heart of the Ossau valley and will delight you with its traditional cuisine and its specialties (Cassolette Ossaloise and Royal Garbure).