Ancelle, in the Southern Alps, is a ski resort 1350m above sea level. With a unique landscape of the mountains, varied scenes and perfect snow conditions, has all to satisfy the skiers and snowboarders from every level. The whole domain (except Costebelle-Moissiére and Piste B) is equipped with an artificial snow system that ensures a sufficient amout of snow thoughout the winter. At the foot of the slopes, the snow touched by an intense sun, offers a pleasant atmosphere on the terraces. The sled slope is very popular, not only among the children.
Slopes distribution in Ancelle
Created in 1953, the ski resort is managed by the village. The Ancelle ski resort covers 25 km of slopes on thirty hectares: three-quarters of the domain benefits from artificial snow, with a slalom and sliding sports stadium, as well as a snowpark. It takes place in a medium mountain surrounding dressed in a larch forest. The alpine ski area consists of fifteen slopes: six green, five blue, two red and two black. Since 2010 Ancelle has been carrying out a major investment programme aimed to renovating existing facilities.
The village of Ancelle is located south of the Upper Champsaur, far from Drac, 1350 meters above sea level. Surrounded by the summits of Petite Autane 2519 m), Grande Autane (2782 m), Piolit (2464 m), l’Arche (2256 m) and Puy de Manse 1637 m).
An environment like no other
The village and its main villages surround the plain of Lachaup, a vast area about two kilometers in diameter, with an average altitude of 1300 meters. This area was the result from the drying, in the first centuries of our time, of a glacial lake.
The commune extends mainly around the torrent of the Roanne river, which crosses from east to west, and becomes a stream of the Ancelle downriver. However, it flows into the Drac and then into the Isere River near Grenoble, and ends its journey into the salty waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
With family or friends, athletes, walkers, small and great gourmets, tonics and contemplative… Everyone finds their favorite activity in Ancelle.
From well-exposed and varied ski areas, you can cross-country ski to discover the Champsaur valley; all in the heart of a cozy mountain in the middle of the larches (typical foral species), bathed by the legendary luminosity of the Southern Alps.
Located at the entrance of the Champsaur Valley, at 1350 meters above sea level, the Ancelle ski resort offers a very clear horizon, varied exhibitions and good snow quality, to satisfy skiers and snowboarders of every level. The entire domain (minus Costebelle-Moissiére and Piste B) is equipped with an artificial snowmaking system that ensures snow throughout the winter. At the foot of the slopes, the very sunny snow front offers pleasant terraces and a popular sled slope; not just for the little ones.
With a ski school and a snow garden, Ancelle is the delight of the whole family. And after a hard ski day, the fun can continue in the village; a warm atmosphere for a break, a snack or to discover the high mountain architecture.
The best sectors of the resort
The offer of accommodation in Ancelle is quite spacious (hotels, charming cottages, cozy rooms, campsites, hostels…). Between the level 1350 and 1807 meters above sea level, under the gaze of the Piolit mountain, the Ancelle ski resort is divided into three sectors, all connected to each other by the slopes and ski lifts:
- From the snow front, the Chatégré chairlift, assisted by the Serre de l’Homme ski lift, serves the main axis of the area and its slopes specially appreciated by intermediate skiers (mainly green and blue: Zenith, Vallons, Fir or Squirrels).
- A bit off-piste, the Taillas sector is more suitable for experienced skiers. It gives access to the most technical trails in the area (red trails at Army Leap, Clot de Moute, Prévost…) while also giving access to some beautiful blue trails that lead to Col de Moissiére.
- From there, when the snow conditions are ideal, you can walk 3 exposed trails to the west with a magnificent view of the Champsaur Valley and the Gapençais basin (including the only black trail in Ancelle).
In total, Ancelle has 23 slopes (30 kilometers of skiing) accessed by 13 ski lifts (including 2 chairlifts). It should be noted that 80% of the ski resort is covered by the cultivated snow production network (one of the densest and most efficient in France) which guarantees enough snow throughout the winter.
Finally, it should be noted that due to its arrangement and facilities, the quality of the snow in Ancelle is particularly suitable to start skiing (or snowboarding). The slope is smooth and allows you to progress quickly by using simple ski lifts.
Snow parks and Ancelle play areas
For the new ski lovers, the Ancelle resort and Polemik Association offers a Snowpark and Boardercross, accessible to all audiences. Placed at the foot of the slopes, “Polemik Park” offers many modules and a play area with music, picnic table and barbecue. You can perfect your technique, discover the world of freestyle or just enjoy the good atmosphere around this location.
Thanks to its exceptional location, nestled in the heart of an open and well snowy plateau, Ancelle is also a very welcoming resort for Nordic activities. You can choose between 4 loops of all levels (3,5 to 10 km), and many other possibilities for forest walks and meadows. In total, 18 kilometres of cross-country ski trails are at your disposal from Ancelle. For the bravest, the resort connects with 8 other nearby cross-country ski resorts (Gap Bayard, Alto Champsaur…), or maybe, the more than 200 km of trails that will allow you to discover the Champsaur Valley.
The must-see in Ancelle
- You can ski with the whole family on the long blue slopes (Zenith, Vallons, Napoleon, Larch…) and try the different sectors (Chatégré, Moissiére, the Taillas) depending on the snow conditions and the crowds.
- Get away from the heart of the ski resort, to reach the Coste Belle area; its slopes overlook the Gapençais basin.
- Located at the foot of the slopes, the “Polemik Park” offers many modules and a Fun Park with music, picnic tables and barbecues.
- With snowshoes or skis you can explore the Rouanne Valley. Quiet and beautiful landscapes that need no introduction. You just have to find out.
- For new sensations, try ski-joëring, where the horse meets the skier.
- Guided tour to the artisanal brewery and local brewing.
Ski schools in Ancelle
In Lioran, the ESF and its 60 instructors teach skiing and snowboarding. In downhill skiing, Nordic skiing, snowboarding, telemarking, handiski… they will accompany you during the learning and make you discover the joys of each of these disciplines. Always relying on a trustworthy and pleasant oversight.
Please note that the Ancelle FSE has a space set up for beginners starting from 3 years old: the PIOU-PIOU club. The snow garden, located near the exits of the collective classes for children and adults, enjoys ideal snow conservation conditions. It allows children to discover, learn and enjoy all the joys of skiing safely.