The first word that comes to mind when you think of escaping to the mountains is “disconnection”. This summer, the nature of Alpe d’Huez welcomes us for timeless Vinyasa Yoga and Hatha Yoga sessions, as a therapy against the stress and worries that accompany our daily lives.
Yoga, a practice that reaches new heights
In recent years, this ancient art from India has become increasingly popular. It is now possible to find yoga classes just about anywhere. Even in the mountains! This is notably the case in Alpe d’Huez, which offers a yoga session at the top of the Pic Blanc, at an altitude of 3300 metres.
But what are the benefits of yoga at altitude?
- Improved oxygenation.Breathing is a fundamental factor in a good yoga practice. The mountains, with their flora and their distance from car pollution, offer pure air. A real quality fuel for our body and mind.
- Very beneficial sensory stimuli. The sound of birds, water, feeling the breeze or even watching a beautiful sunset inspires us, relaxes us and renews us inside. A truly enjoyable experience that enriches our training.
- Concentration. With eyes closed and concentration on the natural environment, we can listen and stop our restless thoughts. The mind expands, enhancing the practice of yoga.
- Improved strength and balance. Stable postures on uneven ground can be a challenge, but something comes out of it! Our muscles are working while we are having fun.
- Inspiring similarities. Yoga is full of postures based on the natural environment: the mountain, the tree, the dog, the cat, the cow, the fish… And it’s no coincidence, what better place to get inspiration than in nature itself!
- Vital energies. The essence of all yoga exercises is the flow of life energy, called prana in Sanskrit. Being barefoot on the mountain and in contact with the ground, the earth’s energy is absorbed, allowing positive energies to replace negative ones.
Vinyasa Yoga and Hatha Yoga in Alpe d’Huez
Alpe d’Huez, one of the largest ski areas in France, is known for its mythical Pic Blanc at 3300 metres altitude but also for its wide range of activities. So why not enjoy a mix of both?
Yoga is the perfect activity to combine with your summer. As a complement to your holiday and a break from everyday life, yoga is an activity that will help you intensify your disconnection. It gives you inner peace and tranquillity, helps you to reduce the stress caused by everyday life and helps your body and mind to balance.
Certified yoga teachers teach Vinyasa Yoga at Pic Blanc. The resort offers individual or group sessions open to all, with no minimum level required. Vinyasa Yoga is an energetic yoga, based on the sequence of postures, which allows you to gain mobility, flexibility, to work on your breathing and body alignment. The session always ends with a well-deserved relaxation / meditation session.
The outings take place every Tuesday and Friday morning. The ascent to the Pic Blanc is by cable car at 9.30 am. The yoga class starts at 10.20am. You will then do different yoga positions (adapted to your level) for 45 minutes.
Vinyasa Yoga classes include asanas or physical postures, pranayamas or breathing exercises, as well as meditation and relaxation. You will be offered a hot drink before descending, leaving you time to admire the landscape. From the top of Pic Blanc, the panoramic view will amaze young and old!
Yoga in the mountains: reconnecting with nature and yourself
The benefits of yoga at altitude are numerous, and some claim that they are increased tenfold in the mountains. The practice of this ancient discipline in the mountains is very beneficial to relax and recharge your batteries, but also to improve your physical and mental health. Yoga sessions in Alpe d’Huez, in a mountain setting, offer people the opportunity to have an unforgettable experience, beyond the mind and emotions.
You will learn the true principles of yoga, while enjoying a privileged contact with nature. Faced with the speed of modern life, this discipline offers us an antidote, allowing us to relax and escape.
For a moment, you can commune with the mountain, listen to its sounds, breathe its pure air and relax. Put aside problems and worries and disconnect from the stress and anxiety of work, responsibilities, obligations …
Hatha yoga in the mountains is certainly one of the best ways to connect with yourself. Indeed, mountain activities have a positive impact on our body and our health. It lowers blood pressure, reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, reduces anxiety, fatigue, stress and even depression. All good reasons to start yoga!
The mountain pose… at an altitude of over 3000 metres!
Yoga has its origins in nature and many poses are named after some of Mother Nature. This summer, discover the mountain pose or Tadasana. Standing with relaxed shoulders, clasp your hands to your chest with your spine straight and look straight ahead. As you breathe, the chest expands and the shoulders open, giving a sense of space. Close your eyes and take 10 slow, deep breaths.
The Alpe d’Huez mountain offers you the setting and the (yoga) pose, now it’s up to you to invent the stay that goes with it!
Information and booking of Vinyasa Yoga and Hatha Yoga, by clicking HERE.